There is a short story about a positive attitude. Two seeds lay side by side in the fertile soil.
The first seed said, “I want to grow! I want to send my roots deep into the soil beneath me, and thrust my sprouts through the earth’s crust above me … I want to unfurl my tender buds like banners to announce the arrival of spring … I want to feel the warmth of the sun on my face and the blessing of the morning dew on my petals!”
And so she grew…
The second seed said, “Hmmmm. If I send my roots into the ground below, I don’t know what I will encounter in the dark. If I push my way through the hard soil above me I may damage my delicate sprouts … what if I let my buds open and a snail tries to eat them? And if I were to open my blossoms, a small child may pull me from the ground. No, it is much better for me to wait until it is safe.”
And so she waited…
A yard hen scratching around in the early spring ground for food found the waiting seed and promptly ate it.
- Maintaining a positive attitude is the main solution to overcome pessimism or negative thinking. Your negative thoughts will not vanish away easily. It takes time and patience.
- You have to challenge your own negative thinking and stop predicting unrealistic things. If you start thinking as maybe I cannot do this task. Ask yourself again, Why I cannot do this? I can definitely do this. Hold that positive thought and then your mind and energy will automatically help you to achieve your task.
- Have evidence or proof to support your thinking and then form a conclusion.
- Sometimes you might develop negative thoughts by just sitting idle. Become conscious. Keep yourself busy, engage with the activities or hobbies which you like to do. This will divert your mind.
- Surround yourself with good people. Avoid bad company.
- Meditation is a powerful technique, it will shift your mind into positive thinking and helps you to focus towards positive aspects of life.
- Read “Bhagavad Gita”, it will really help you to think positive.
Source from my Quora profile: https://www.quora.com/How-can-one-overcome-pessimism/answer/Anusha-Hiremath-3